Monday, September 16, 2013

Goodbye, America!


Finally, after a month of being at home and working on secondaries, I am heading to Peru today for my first stretch, through early November. I'm still kind of in shock that this is really happening, after nearly a year of having the idea brew in my mind!

As a quick summary, thanks to the DRCLAS Reifenberg Fellowship, I have the opportunity to work with Help for the Andes, an organization that has quite a few projects going on, including the Human Touch program that focuses on those in institutions like hospitals, orphanages, and nursing homes. I will be living and working with Janet, a clinical psychologist and advisor for the Human Touch initiative. When I was putting my plans together, I figured that through HFTA, I would be able to connect with nursing homes in Lima, where I hope to understand elder care in Peru and help the staff, especially using what I've learned through Alzheimer's Buddies!

Until I get myself settled in--un abrazo!

No comments:

Post a Comment